The lazy days of summer invite us to shift gears and truly savour the moment
Ah, summer – a time when relaxation should be at the forefront, but let’s be real; many of us struggle to hit pause and simply chill out. If you’re someone who’s perpetually on the go, feeling slightly anxious at the thought of idle hours, then summer is just what you need. Summer beckons us to embrace its slower rhythm, asking us to simply be.
The prolonged daylight of summer promises more than just sunshine – it offers a chance to switch gears from our usually frantic pace. While the world may hustle and bustle throughout the rest of the year, summer insists on savouring the moment. So, pop on those shades, slide into your softest loungewear, and let’s dive deep into the lazy days of summer!
|Grandparents’ guide to summer fun for the grandkids
|Introduce your kids to the tradition of backyard games
|Embrace your inner child to navigate your hectic life
- Master the art of napping: Summer is the perfect time to become a napping connoisseur. Find a cozy spot in the shade, preferably under a tree, and let yourself drift away to dreamland. The gentle rustling of leaves and the warm breeze will lull you into a serene slumber. Remember, a quick catnap can work wonders for recharging your batteries.
- Practice being a cloud-gazer: When was the last time you lay back and watched the clouds go by? Set up a comfy recliner or simply spread a mat on the grass. Let your imagination roam as you interpret the ever-changing patterns of the clouds, finding hidden shapes and stories in their fluffy expanses.
- Rediscover analog entertainment: Dust off those board games, bring out the deck of cards or delve into that novel you’ve been putting off. The digital detox will feel refreshing, allowing for deeper connections and interactions with those around you.
- Create your own oasis: You don’t need to go on a lavish vacation to experience the joy of paradise. Transform your backyard or balcony into your personal oasis. Set up a hammock, arrange some colourful cushions, and surround yourself with lush potted plants. Voila! You now have a serene retreat where you can read a book, listen to your favourite tunes, or simply bask in the tranquillity of the lazy days.
- Embrace the ice cream diet: While we don’t recommend ditching your regular meals altogether, summer is undoubtedly the season to indulge in frozen delights guilt-free. Ice cream, popsicles, sorbets – take your pick! Treat yourself to a delightful cone or a bowl of your favourite flavour. Remember, calories don’t count when it’s summertime!
- Tune into nature’s symphony: With the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, we often miss out on nature’s ambient sounds. The humming of bees, the chirping of birds, or the distant laughter of children playing can be music to the ears. Dedicate an afternoon to simply tuning into these sounds. Maybe even take up a little bird watching.
- Dip and dive: If one thing defines summer, it’s water! Whether it’s a pool, a lake, a river, or the ocean, take the plunge and cool off. Spend hours swimming, floating, and playing games in the water. Don’t forget the sunscreen, though: lazy days can still result in sunburn if you’re not careful.
- Embrace the beauty of doing nothing: Summer is the season to master the art of doing nothing at all. Give yourself permission to just be. Let go of any pressure to constantly be on the move or fill your schedule. Embrace the stillness, and you’ll find a certain joy in just being present in the moment.
- Explore slow hobbies: Take up gardening, try sketching, or indulge in crafting. These hobbies don’t demand urgency and can be incredibly therapeutic, allowing you to immerse yourself wholly.
- Stargaze and count fireflies: As the day winds down, the lazy summer evenings come to life with twinkling stars and enchanting fireflies. Grab a blanket, lie on the grass, and gaze at the night sky. Count the stars and make a wish upon the brightest one. Let the fireflies dance around you like tiny fairies, and let your imagination run wild.
- Host a chill picnic: Gather your friends and loved ones for a laid-back picnic in the park or your backyard. Keep it simple with sandwiches, fresh fruits, and a cool lemonade. Lay out some blankets and enjoy each other’s company with good conversations, laughter, and perhaps even a friendly game of Frisbee or catch.
- Journal your gratitude: Spend a few moments each evening jotting down what you’re thankful for. This practice can anchor your day, reminding you of life’s simpler blessings.
- Watch the sunset: Never miss a chance to watch the sun bid adieu for the day. The lazy days of summer are made even more magical when the sky transforms into hues of orange, pink, and purple. Find a spot with an unobstructed view and let the beauty of nature captivate your senses.
Remember, summer isn’t just about doing – it’s also about being. It’s an invitation to connect with your inner self, to discover joys in the mundane, and to revel in the now. As the world slows down during these warmer months, seize the opportunity to reset, recharge, and truly embrace the wonders this season has to offer.
Whether it’s a spontaneous dance in the rain, an afternoon dedicated to daydreaming, or the simple joy of a homemade popsicle, ensure this summer remains etched in your memory as the one where you truly mastered the sweet art of doing absolutely nothing and loving every minute of it!
Faith Wood is a professional speaker, author, and certified professional behaviour analyst. Prior to her speaking and writing career, she served in law enforcement, which gave her a unique perspective on human behaviour and motivations. Faith is also known for her work as a novelist, with a focus on thrillers and suspense. Her background in law enforcement and understanding of human behaviour often play a significant role in her writing.
For interview requests, click here.
© Troy Media
Troy Media is an editorial content provider to media outlets and its own hosted community news outlets across Canada.